Pros and Cons of Working in Retirement
After retirement, many individuals consider going back to work. Whether it’s because they want a little extra income or just need something to keep themselves busy.
There are benefits to working after retirement besides the obvious financial ones. Having a job, even part-time, allows you to slowly ease into retirement. It also helps you feel a sense of fulfillment and purpose. But there can also be some negative aspects to returning to work after retirement.
Here are a few pros and cons to consider before you commit to starting a post-retirement position:
- Provides a sense of purpose
- Extra income
- Freedom and flexibility of your schedule
- Social activity and health
- Better health insurance options
- Less free time
- Ageism in the workplace
- Possible impact on social security benefits
- Risk of higher taxes
- Less job security